Sunday 15 February 2009

The end of a long week

I don’t think I need to explain to anyone why last week was probably one of the longest of my life. Bashir’s death was a huge shock to all of us and something it will take time for us all to come to terms with. It’s not the way anyone would choose to come into an elected position and dealing with that has been character building to say the least.

I have been incredibly lucky to have received so much support from members of the SNP and other friends and family, all of them acknowledging the tragic circumstances, all of them sensitive enough to know that this is not something to be celebrated and all of them being supportive and encouraging.

The greatest strength however has been drawn from Bashir’s family – his wife, his 5 girls and his 2 boys. I barely know them but in the time I’ve spent with them this week, I have seen Bashir’s generosity of spirit in each and every one of them. We’ll keep in touch and I look forward to getting to know them better. And I hope, in some way, I can repay them for the kindness they’ve shown me in one of the worst week’s of all of their lives, a week when nobody would’ve minded if they’d thought of themselves. Because of them, I can move on and focus on representing the people of Glasgow to the best of my ability. I won’t forget that and I will never forget Bashir Ahmad.

No comments: