Tuesday 30 December 2008

Christie says no to trident!


I've been helping my niece with her Higher English recently. Well, when I say HELPING, what I mean is TRYING to help. She didn't want to send me what she'd written so far because she didn't think it was good enough (defeats the purpose a bit but that's beside the point I guess)!

Anyway I've finally got it and I thought (being a lazy blogger and a proud auntie) that I'd share a bit of it with you. See if you can work out why she was reluctant!

"The UK government is planning on spending an estimated £25 Billion of the taxpayer’s money on renewing the Trident nuclear weapon system that has served us so well in the past 10 years by doing…erm nothing actually!"

Tee hee. (That's my comment btw, not the essay.)

And ...

"For the past 10 years the taxpayer has spent millions every year for the up keep of these very “useful” weapons of mass destruction. And now another £25 billion (£50 billion in total) is to be spent: not on schools, hospital, transport, police or anything as insignificant, but nuclear weapons as they are of course what we really need!"

Then ...

"You might as well get £25 billion and set fire to it for all the use its doing for us. Unless action is taken those nuclear weapons will be sitting gathering dust for the next 10 years (until we have to spend more billions renewing them) because if they were actually to be used – as is their purpose, it would be the start of a nuclear war and we’d all be dead or seriously mutated. Probably dead."

And, just to prove that she's incredibly intelligent and has been very well brought up ...

"Oh yes and where are they kept. 3 guesses. Scotland of course – on the river Clyde, just 20 miles from our biggest city, Glasgow. Imagine the uproar if they were kept on the river Thames or just 20 miles from say Manchester. You couldn’t have Trident so near to such important cities! Which funnily enough is what Glasgow is, well to the Scottish people anyway."

Finally, a good old McLaughlin style rant ...

"To the UK Scotland isn’t that important – unless you need somewhere to keep nuclear weapons or dump some nuclear waste. That’s how we got our nickname “the dump of Britain”. And our slogan – 'got waste? Bring it to Scotland'."

I suspect she's made that slogan up, even the UK govt wouldn't be that cheeky. So for that reason and because of the missing apostrophe (look carefully, Christie!) I'm only giving her 9/10 - good effort hen and good to know you were listening to that tape your mum used to play you in your sleep!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not bad. But more than one mistake unfortunately...

Although that shouldn't hurt her marks.

Indygal said...

Well, not really. I added them in just to see if anyone would notice. I did! Honest!