Sunday 5 October 2008

East End Bus Journey

I've just come home on the bus. It's midnight, city centre to the East End of Glasgow. It's always going to be entertaining and tonight I was not disappointed. Big fight between a guy who's started smoking and the guy who's telling him to put it out.

"All you had to do was politely ask" says the smoker.

"I shouldn't have to ask Mr Cancer Man" replies the bus bouncer!

"There's no need for your violent attitude" yells Mr Smoker.

"There's no need for you to give me your cancer" counters Mr Lifesaver.

It went on and on like this for a while much to my amusement. Of course the smoker shouldn't have lit up and of course the other guy didn't have to be polite about it - he was entitled to tell him to stop. I'm not really commenting on that, more on the style of the sketch than the content.

Honestly, that's what it was like, a comedy sketch. Actually it was like a not very good amateur dramatic society doing a re-enactment or a public service info film.

I stopped stifling my laughter after a while and just let it all come out. I have to say the award for funniest moment goes to the driver for his contribution. He stops the bus, slightly opens his driver door, leans out a little and says:

"Right you, you've not to smoke. And you - you've not to have a violent attitude. There you go then."

And that was it. I don't think either of them noticed as they carried on demonstrating their collective manliness. I'm telling you, I was sorry to have to get off the bus!!

No comments: