Friday 25 July 2008

The morning after the night before

It's morning and I'm trying to type quietly. Makes me feel like I'm on one of those TV programmes where someone has a video camera and records their personal thoughts in a diary style - in whispers, late at night or early in the morning. I know it's not early but it is for me having had 4 hours sleep. I'm staying with Alison Thewliss and shortly we'll be heading out for the press conference. It is beginning to sink in. The phone keeps going with texts and messages and there have been dozens of emails. I've also just read some of the news coverage and am beginning to take in the enormity of what we've just achieved in the SNP. But I think the thing that made me realise the momentousness of the occasion more than anything was hearing my friends last night (most SLIGHTLY younger than me) describe the win as "my Hamilton" or "my Govan". And I remember Govan vividly. I remember how I felt and I've often felt a little sorry for folk who don't have "a Govan" or "a Hamilton" because winning a by election is just the most fantastic feeling. So, now they do and I am very happy to have been part of it. Being in a political party is very unifying but fighting a by election together is bonding in a way that's hard to describe that to anyone who hasn't experienced it. So, still taking it in, still desperately needing sleep but still a lot of work to do before we can move on and win the next one. Motherwell and Wishaw - bring it on. Just give us a wee break first!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there Indygal

My name is James Harrod and I work for BBC News.

We are looking to do a discussion on tonight's programme "World News Today" about the SNP's victory in Glasgow East.

We really want to hear from bloggers and was wondering if you would be interested in taking part in a discussion about the future of the SNP - and indeed Labour - in Scotland.

Could you please contact me - my number here is 0208 576 4440 or you can email me - james.harrod@bbc.co.uk

Many thanks

James Harrod

gwe said...

Congratulations on a fantastic campaign and astonishing result - inspirational!

(A Plaid Cymru Activist)

Indygal said...

Thank you GWE!! Have had so many emails and texts from Plaid folk, it's great. And loads came to Glasgow to help so we will return the favour any time you need us :-)

DAVID TURNER said...

great result pity i missed it being on holiday but i hope Norrie has managed to get all those posters down lol