Friday 13 June 2008

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing

The Herald Diary today has a story about a business flight from Glasgow to Manchester which suddenly dropped a couple of hundred feet due to turbulence. The story goes that all the serious suited and booted business types remained silent while they tried to pretend not to have noticed. Apparently the tension disappeared when a toddler started giggling and yelled: "again, again"! I have to confess to having done the same thing many years ago - when I was approximately 32! It wasn't "again" and I didn't shout but I did get very excited and momentarily forgot that I was not at a fun fair!

In my campaign to get elected to Europe, I have been advised to maintain a serious personna and I do - because I'm very serious about Europe and deadly serious about Scotland's Independence. I don't think, however, it does us any harm to view the world through the eyes of a child from time to time.

No comments: